PLY Away is the happiest spinning place on Earth! A fiber retreat dedicated to making sure every spinner, teacher, and vendor is smiling. For more on how we do this and our dedication to it (and why classes are priced like they are, check this out.)
Situated in the middle of Kansas City, Missouri, Crown Center’s Westin offers spinners the best of both worlds – all the amenities and conveniences of a city and all the privacy and coziness of a tucked away spinning retreat.
The Westin at Crown Center, a full-service, beautiful hotel, is a stunning place to hold our spinning retreat (book your room here). It’s within walking distance to a variety of restaurants (vegan and organic, KC’s famous BBQ, farm to table, long-standing historical hamburger joints) yet still provides us with that tucked-away feeling of being at a private retreat with a cozy group of spinners and fiber folk.
PLY Away guestrooms are offered at a special rate of $149/night for a preferred King or a double that comes with free internet (as long as you book as part of our block). If you’d like to book your room, please head over here!
PLY Away 2017 will be focused on the 3rd year of PLY Magazine topics so you can expect classes on Texture Fine, Cotton, and Singles from experts in those areas plus a few foundation classes from those that know how to build foundations.
Changes this year will be:
- We added a day! Instead of Thursday-Sunday, it’s Tuesday-Saturday so you’ve got an extra day and Sunday is left open for travel! Classes still run 9-12 and 2-5 each day with some classes spanning 3 days, 2-days, 1-day, and half days. The marketplace is open 11am-6pm Thursday-Saturday.
- No 5th floor classes! All the classes are in the big rooms so no low lighting or squished spinners.
- Marketplace is in the ballroom! Because, well, a fiber marketplace deserves something grand, yes?
- Large spinning room set up each evening for gathering and spinning! Hang in the lobby if you like but there will be a dedicated space too.
- Lots of double guest rooms (instead of all kings).
- A few more tricks and lovely additions!
The first one was great but this one is going to be even better! Don’t miss the second annual PLY Away spinning retreat! Teachers and classes announced in August, scholarship raffle opens in August, and registration opens in October.